This is a very interesting and informative article about different types of dragon fruit. White Dragon fruit, Red Dragon fruit, pink Dragon fruit, and Yellow Dragon fruit are some common types of Dragon fruit.
In this section, you will learn about these types of dragon fruit along with their health benefits. The Dragon fruit, also known as pitahayas, exists in different shapes, textures, sizes, skin colors, flesh colors, and tastes. Also, all these cultivars have different seed sizes, and sun, heat, and cold tolerances.
Now let’s discuss the different types of Dragon fruit.
White Dragon Fruit
It is commonly called white pitaya. This Dragon fruit has pink skin with scales with white flesh inside and is found in two separate genera Selenicereus. and Hylocereus. This is a tropical fruit that is cultivated in Mexico, Central America, Australia, and Southeast Asia.
The fruit has a fresh and sweet taste. White Dragon fruit is responsible to boost your iron levels. As you that the major role of iron is to transport oxygen inside your body and give you energy, and fruit contains iron.
LA woman, Alice, Neitzel, and, David Bowie, are some of its popular varieties. Since the White Dragon fruit is the most popular type so widely loved all around the world. Its seeds are present in black color and are edible.
- Oleic acid: 23.8%
- Linoleic acid: 50.1
- Linoleic acid: 1.0
- Stearic acid: 4.4%
- Cis-vaccenic acid: 2.8%
- Palmitic acid: 17.1%
- Palmitoleic acid: 0.6%
- Myristic acid: 0.3%
White Dragon fruit is a major source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Its nutritional composition is described below;
- Flavonoids. The high amount of flavonoids inside white Dragon fruit may help to reduce inflammation and repair cell damage.
- Vitamin C. As you know Vitamin C is necessary for a strong body. White Dragon fruit has a very amount of Vitamin C and really excellent source for a strong body.
- Fiber. It is a good source of fiber that helps in digestion. So eating more white Dragon fruit may improve digestion.
Red Dragon Fruit
The Red Dragon fruit has pink skin with dark red flesh inside. It is also known as pink pitahaya or Strawberry pear. It has large white flowers that open only at night, famously known as the ‘Moonflowers’ or ‘Lady of the night’.
The Red Dragon fruit is native to North America and Southern Mexico. In the early 19th century the French bought the fruit in Southeast Asia.
- Oleic acid: 21.6%
- Linoleic acid: 49.6%
- Linoleic acid: 1.2%
- Stearic acid: 5.5%
- Cis-vaccenic acid: 3.1%
- Palmitic acid: 17.9%
- Palmitoleic acid: 0.9%
Myristic acid: 0.2%
- Antioxidants. It has a high amount of antioxidants such as betacyanin, flavonoids, and phenolic acid which prevent your body from toxins.
- Fibers. The Red Dragon fruit is rich in fiber.
- Phytonutrients. It is rich in phytonutrients which help your body to prevent disease and keep the body working properly.
Pink Dragon Fruit
This type of Dragon fruit is related to the red type, but its flesh is different. The edible flesh of Pink Dragon fruit is ranging from soft to scorching pink. This is cultivated commonly in Costa Rica and is often called the Costa Rica Pitaya.
The pink Dragon fruit has a charming and beautiful look and is claimed to be one of the rarest seen tropical fruit. Eating flesh along with small black seeds is very useful to your body’s health.
- Magnesium: 18% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 9% of the RDI.
- Iron: 8% of the RD
- Fat: 0 grams.
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 3 grams.
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Calories: 136.
- Fibers. Like other types, it is too rich in fibers which help in digestion.
- Lowering blood sugar level. Eating pink Dragon fruit is very useful for low sugar levels.
- Good for your skin. Applying a paste of dragon fruit on your face can slow down aging and also treat sunburn and acne.
Yellow Dragon Fruit
The Scientific name of the Yellow Dragon fruit is Hylocereus megalanthus. It is commonly known as the real yellow pitaya and is said to be the sweetest of all dragon fruits. Its skin is yellow in color and white flesh is inside. The yellow dragon can be used in juices, salad, and ice cream, and can be eaten fresh.
Its flesh is gray in color which is more translucent than the standard pink dragon fruit. The Yellow Dragon fruit is the sweetest and the most flavorful among all the Dragon fruits. It helps in the detoxification of your liver and maintains your body’s health in its normal position.
- Sugar 13 grams
- Protein 2 grams
- Calories 102 Kcal
- Carbohydrates 22 grams
- Vitamin C 4 mg
- Iron 1 gram
- Magnesium 68 grams
- Calcium 31 mg
- Fats 0 gram
- Fiber 5 grams
- Vitamin A 100 IU (international units)
- Fibers. It is relatively high in fibers and aids in the digestion process.
- Antioxidants. Yellow Dragon fruit has a huge amount of antioxidants that prevent you from toxins.
- Calcium. The fruit is rich in calcium thus giving strength to your bone and teeth.